Motivation is the drive required to achieve your goals. However, most couples want to achieve their relationship goals over their lifetime. It becomes challenging if you have an unhealthy attachment or lifestyle. Sometimes it can be a challenge as a couple to stay motivated because of factors like depression or anxiety which may prevent you from achieving your goals. As a couple you need to develop a start-up formula to remain motivated in hard times. It’s important to understand what motivation means to you, so as a couple you can find your own methods to stay motivated.
Motivation is influenced by
- How much you want to achieve your goals.
- What results you will gain.
- Your personal expectations.
Benefits of motivation
- Motivation provides you with goals to work towards.
- It can help you to solve problems together as couple.
- Motivation may lead a couple to change bad habits
- It may help a couple to cope with challenges and seize opportunities.
Tips to stay motivated as couple
- Set specific achievable goals.
- Think about what you have always wanted to achieve as couple and make it happen by setting up some kind of frame work.
- Break your goals into small easy tasks and set regular reminders.
- Use your extended family or friends as support. Tell them about your goals and encourage them to help keep you motivated.
Ways to keep your goals on track as a couple
- Make your goals part of a regular routine by using a diary or app for milestones.
- Positive couple-talk is important and effective in managing depression or anxiety. Instead of saying “We can’t”, say “We can”.
- Mindfulness helps keep you relaxed and focused.
- Start a class or join a support group. Support groups can be as effective as professional help.
- Reward yourselves when you have completed a step towards your goal.
Tips for couples to stay motivated
- Regularly review your goals and progress. Seeing progress is a great motivator in itself. Always find ways to improve your self-esteem.
- Continue to set new goals. Think about what you want to achieve as a couple for next week, next month and next year. Begin with one goal at a time so you don’t feel overwhelmed.
- Keep the momentum up… It takes up to 3 months to develop a new habit, so keeping up the momentum and routines will help you stay motivated over time.
- Find a mentor or someone who is experienced in the habit you want to change. Finding a social or support group with the same focus can help you achieve results.
- Surround yourself with positive people. Positive friends and family enhance your motivation, which also helps to manage the symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Use exercise as one of your daily goals to improve your physical and mental health.
What to do if you lose motivation as couple
- Setbacks are normal but developing a positive spirit can help you continue and pick up where you left off.
- Review your goals and see if they are realistic for the timeframe you have set. You may need to break your goals down further into smaller and more achievable milestones.
- Remember why you wanted to get motivated or reach that goal in the first place.
- Take motivation from others or feel inspired by reading books, talking to a mentor or friends or family who have reached similar goals to the ones you have set.
- Sometimes you just need to take a break and start fresh.
- If you are struggling to get motivated, talk to someone you trust, or a counsellor who can provide useful strategies.
If you find yourself struggling with any relationship issues get in touch with us. Send the word “help” to the following WhatsApp number +27 81 352 0182 and we will call you within 48 hours.
Alternately Contact us now to find out more about Mens Clinic International – Relationship issues.
To read more about motivation, click here.