The family that eats healthy food, stays healthy!
When a family eats dinner together, they tend to eat more vegetables and fruits and less fried food, soda, and foods with trans –fats (unhealthy substances). When younger kids frequently eat dinner with their families, they are less likely to be overweight than other children. That tends to change in the teenage years when they are less likely to eat at home.
What can happen if you don’t eat healthy food?
Firstly, eating unhealthy food can put you to a higher risk of many health problems later in life, including heart disease, high blood pressure, and diabetes as well as emotional problems.
Eating dinner as a family
Eating dinner as a family can help the kids in many ways such as getting better grades, keep them away from cigarettes, alcohol and drugs. Having frequent family dinners is an effective way for parents to engage with their kids.
Benefits of Family Dinner:
- Everyone eats healthier meals.
- Kids are less likely to become overweight or obese.
- They are more likely to stay away from cigarettes.
- Kids are less likely to drink alcohol.
- They may not try marijuana and the use of illicit drugs.
- School grades will be better.
- You and your kids will talk more.
- You will hear and solve serious problems that require immediate action.
- Kids will feel like you are proud of them.
- There will be less stress and tension at home.
Tips for Organizing a Family Dinner
- Firstly, be prepared and keep the ingredients for healthy meals on hand, including plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Keep healthy ‘appetizers’ on hand and make sure the kitchen is full of fresh fruits, nuts, and low-fat cheese, stuff the kids can snack on after school, instead of chips.
- Get the family involved and let kids help to prepare the meals and set the table.
- Use the crock-pot and put everything together before leaving for work in the morning. You will come home to the delicious smell of a cooked meal.
- Pick up take-out, order pizza, or eat out. It still counts as quality time spent together.
- Keep serving sizes of meal under control, whether you are at home or eating out.
- Make it enjoyable and leave serious discussions for another time. Family meals are for nourishment, comfort, and support.
- Set the mood and play soft music. Put flowers on the table, light a candle, create a relaxing environment.
In conclusion, the goal is to get everyone to the family dinner table and spend quality time together. All the families are advised to adopt a frequent family dinner by eating healthy food together as a family and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
If you find yourself struggling with any relationship issues get in touch with us. Send the word “help” to the following WhatsApp number and we will call you +27 81 352 0182 within 48 hours.
Alternately Contact us now to find out more about Mens Clinic International – Relationship issues.
To read more about family, click here.