Age difference in a relationship
Romantic couple’s with an age gap of 10 years or more may increase the chances of having marital problems. Moreover, relationships with a ten-year age gap experience social disapproval. In most cases you will find a person enters to this kind of relationship for the benefits that may be related to success. However, there is an ideal age difference in a relationship that can increase your chances for everlasting love.
How to see that you are in a happy, healthy relationship?
A happy, healthy relationship is controlled by the people in it and there are many factors that contribute to its long-term success. However, we all know that the best things in life don’t come without putting efforts. Love is no exception.
Multiple research studies
Couples with a zero to three-year age difference showed greater satisfaction than those with a four- to six-year gap. Likewise, couples with a four to six year gap showed greater satisfaction than those with a seven-plus year gap. In general, marital satisfaction decreased as the age difference increased. One theory supported by evidence provided in the study is that differently aged couples are less resilient to negative shocks in the relationship, including both economic hardship and illness. Although not specifically tested for, other life cycle-related factors including children and retirement were mentioned.
Both men and women showed greater levels of marital satisfaction when married to younger partners than those with partners older than them, regardless of the age gap. However, that initial higher satisfaction seemed to dissipate after 6 to 10 years of marriage.
Questions to ask before committing in a relationship
What goals do you have for your life?
- Think about your future goals and what you imagine for your life.
- Things like careers, children, finances and other major life events are worth having an honest conversation about.
What common interests do you share?
- These will become even more important as you grow older together.
- Develop your shared hobbies and interests, as they can strengthen your connection when an age gap may create distance.
Do your values and morals match up?
- This may seem like an obvious one, but dig deeper than just general good nature.
- Begin touchy subjects that could lead to conflict in the future, like politics and religion.
Are you willing to compromise?
- An important aspect of any healthy relationship is the ability to compromise, but even more so when your partner is a different age.
It is important to discuss your relationship expectations
An awareness of your partner’s expectations is particularly important when you are both far apart in age. An older man may want his younger partner to birth a child. However, woman may be more focused on financial security. At the relationship’s outset and during its course, honestly share and discuss your expectations to avoid miscommunication.
If you find yourself struggling with any relationship issues get in touch with us. Send the word “help” to the following WhatsApp number +27 81 352 0182 and we will call you within 48 hours.
Alternately Contact us now to find out more about Mens Clinic International – Relationship issues.
To read more about age-gap, click here.